Friday, July 29, 2011

God is the fan that never leaves

I can remember as a little boy attending football games at Seaborg Field in Los Angeles (Watts).  I was in the bleachers watching my brother, Todd, play.  I learned early on about fans. Some went to hang out and some to cheer the team on.  However, the ones that were there to cheer, only cheered when the team did something good.  There were also fans that thought they were better play-callers than the coach.  And if their team was losing, they would depart before the game ended.
Ten years later in Palatka, Florida I found myself at Memorial Stadium.  This time I would be on the field as a  player.  Amazingly, not much had changed.  Some fans were there to hang out and some to cheer on the team.  And yes, there were still fans that thought they were better play-callers than the coach.

In 1999, I embarked upon a coaching career in the sport that was instrumental in my life. This coaching career gave me access to fans and stadiums all cross the country.  Interestingly enough, the fans had not changed.  Some were there to hang out, some to cheer their team on, and still others who thought they were better play-callers than the coach.  I must not forget the fans who left before the game concluded.
I believe football is much like our walk with God because football takes a lot of sacrifice - sacrificing your body, time, and selfish wants.  When a football player's "dawg" (guy friend) is out at the club at "College Night", they are home in their dorm room or apartment because of team rules.  When their "shawty" (girlfriend) wants to "kick it" (date) he has to study his playbook, go to a meeting, a practice, or a weight room lifting session. When a player has to be up at 4:30 a.m. for off-season workouts and it is below freezing temperatures outside, his roommate is still sleeping. Individuals must sacrifice their own desires for the good of the team.

Many times players have to choose between football, their "dawg" or their "shawty". There is real pressure.  I have seen young men walk away from the game or allow their opportunity to be taken away from them because of poor choices.  It may have been simply because of them not wanting to let go of that one freedom, friend or environment.  I have seen players allow so called friends, drugs and alcohol steal their dreams.  I can remember many days, saying to my players "If it were easy, we would have hundreds of people out here."  There are many things that can be a distraction and blind us from seeing the big picture and reaching the ultimate goal in our lives and eternal life.

I believe fans are a lot like friends and family.  As I alluded to earlier in this post, the are some fans that go to the game to hang out, some to cheer, some to call plays and some who will leave before it is over.  That is why you cannot allow the fans (friends) to affect your "play call"! You will have friends that are in your life just to "hang out".  I call these friends "information gatherers".  They are only your friend to find out your business. Then there are the friends that are in your life to "cheer".  I refer to these as the "fair-weatherers".  They are only your friend when circumstances are pleasant and profitable to them.  And then there are the friends who are "play-callers".  I refer to these as the "know-it-alls".  They are friends who believe that he/she has an accurate comprehension of a topic and/or situation in your life, when in reality, his/her comprehension is inaccurate and limited.  What do most of these fans (friends) have in common?  They will undoubtedly leave before the game is over.
 
I want to say to you, regardless of who is at the game or who is not, believe in yourself, seek God and have a plan. Call the play that God has birthed inside of you and run it.  "Faith without works is dead" (James 2:14). God is the fan (friend) who will always be there.  "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.' So we say with confidence, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.  What can man do to me?'" (Hebrew 13: 5-6.)

I'm rootin' for you -

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome posting! If we could all learn this early in life, what a blessing it would be! Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angie, it is all God. I believe we can learn this early in life if we focus on God and become new creatures in Him. By doing this we can change the way we think which will lead us to focusing on the things above and not the things on this earth. We should nurture our youth in Christ to embrace this. May God richly bless you.

    ReplyDelete