Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Only You Can Stop You

I get to meet people through my job who, at some point in their life, took a detour from education and at a later stage in life, realized they needed education in order to improve themselves or become self-sufficient.  I had the pleasure, over the last week, of meeting a woman named Michelle and her husband, James.

Her story is very powerful and it is shared below, as written by her.  She was just accepted to Platt College here in Dallas and received a scholarship.  It is with intent that her story may bless others to work towards achieving their goals, regardless of decisions which may have been made earlier in life.


I have chosen to study Medical Assisting/Phlebotomy and believe I will be successful in this path.  I recently obtained my GED and want to further my education.  The Medical Assisting/Phlebotomy career adds to my love of helping people.  This will also allow my children to see that you can become and do anything you set your mind to, at any age.

As a parent, education is very important to me although as I child, I was not allowed to finish school.  By my father's insistence, I quit school in order to help my family.  As an adult I helped my children as much as I could with their studies as they progressed through school.  Now, as my youngest child has grown older, I obtained my GED and thus, have fulfilled my dream of finally finishing high school.

The Medical Assisting/Phlebotomy career allows me to continue to help people.  In previous jobs I have held, I enjoyed assisting people by explaining, working with and helping them work towards a solution.  Working as a Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist will help me in a personal manner by allowing me to care for my children as well as for my husband who was diagnosed in 2008 with cancer.  Helping to deal with appointments, scheduling and dealing with medicine are all aspects of the Medical Assisting/Phlebotomy job.

I was not allowed to finish school but I promised myself that I would get my GED and a college education when I could.  Several years after my youngest became older and self-sufficient, I knew it was my chance for me to fulfill my dream of obtaining a GED and college education.  I want my children to learn from me; No matter your circumstances or age, an education can always be obtained.  As a Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist I will be able to financially help my children's dream of a college education become reality by sending them to college and helping them work towards their career goals.  With my spouse having been diagnosed with cancer, I know that with a Medical Assistant/Phlebotomy career I can take care of myself and my children if need be.

I chose to pursue a career as a Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist to continue my education.  Choosing this career path allows me to continue my love of helping people.  Pursuing a career in Medical Assisting/Phlebotomy will also allow me to be an example to my children to pursue a higher education and fulfill their dreams.

Michelle Wise
You are welcome to respond to this message by emailing Michelle directly at micaylawise@yahoo.com. 

Don't make excuses.  Make things happen -

No comments:

Post a Comment