Monday, August 1, 2011

Captains needed, God builds character

Our youth face tough challenges everyday; challenges in their school, neighborhood and from friends.  This is real pressure when they have to make a split decision. "Hey, let's skip school", "Come on, have a beer", "Want to make some money [sell pills]?", "Want to smoke some "green" (marijuana)?", sexting (sending nude photos) and the pressure of premarital sex.  I can remember being offered marijuana to sell in the tenth grade during English class. I said no, but if I had said yes that could have sent me down an entirely different road.

Then there is the desire to fit in. You may feel the need to use profanity or show disrespect to someone to impress others.  It does not matter where you are from, these are real issues.  I was always taken back by the number of students with the lack of respect for authority.  Moreover, I was amazed at the parents who condoned their child's actions by pointing the finger at the teacher or authority figure instead of holding the child accountable.


We need parents who will lead their children in a Godly way and not compromise. My mom did not comprise nor did she negotiate with us. She was the same woman of God, Sunday through Monday.  She never waivered in her walk with Christ.  As a single parent, she set the tone.  We need more parents to set the tone in their child's life.  "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it". (Proverbs 22:6 NIV)

We need youth in the church who will be leaders seven days a week, those who will not succumb to the peer pressures of the world and young men and young women who will say "I am a child of God."

You do not have to sag your pants, use profanity, have premarital sex, sext, use drugs or drink alcohol to be cool.  Yes, times have changed but God has not.  Being a young man or young woman of God and reppin' (representing) for Jesus Christ is the coolest thing you could ever do.  God is the only one you need to impress.

It is important to listen to your parents and respect them. "Honor your father and mother."  This the first commandment with a promise. "That it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on earth".(Ephesians 6:2 NIV).  I know you may not think your parents are not cool at times but they really are and they love you.  Your parents are not supposed to be your friend. They are your parent.  When you become an adult you will have an opportunity for them to become your friend as well as be your parent.  You can be a captain and win from within.

Start today-

2 comments:

  1. Corey I am being blessed as I read about how God is using you to bless youth. I had the privilege of praying for you with your precious sister Valerie while you were in the Army. We even baked and sent you chocolate chip cookies when you were serving in the Gulf War. I also met and spoke with you on a couple of occasions. Valerie and I just reconnected on Facebook and she shared your blog with me. I will be praying for you and thanking God for all that He is doing in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Renee, I remember you. Thanks for those humbling words. God is doing some amazing things in my life. I desire to be a vessel as I decrease and allow God to increase. God gave me a heart for people and a vision to inspire youth many years ago. I was trying to do it my way instead of God's way. Thanks for all the prayers and support during my time in the Gulf War. I appreciate your continued prayers as I follow God's lead to make a difference in the lives of our youth. I will be praying for you as well. May God richly bless you.

    ReplyDelete