Friday, August 5, 2011

No Pain - No Gain

In athletics this phrase is often expressed.  If we are going to gain success in anything we must endure pain.  Most of us make New Year's resolutions each year. A common one is, I am going to lose weight and attend the gym regularly.  However, most times people do not follow through because it is painful; if nothing more than the effort and time it will take away from their daily life.  The reality is if they do not get to the gym and endure some pain they will not reach their goal of losing weight and getting in shape.

Take a college student.  If they expect to be a successful student they must endure some latenight study pain.  In turn, they will we gain success on that exam or project and ultimately receive their college degree.

When God has a call on your life, you will endure some pain on your way to where God is taking you.  I know that God has called me into ministry.  With that will come great trials (pain).  I cannot expect to have free sailing with no pain.  The enemy will use my own family to inflict pain to discourage me from reaching the destiny God has for me.  I have to recognize that all these are growing pains and possess the spiritual maturity to discern the devil's tactics.  I must also stay cool, calm, and collected and "never let them see me sweat".  My nephew, Sidney III, reminded me that Jesus had to control his emotions many times when he walked the earth. Jesus passed the greatest pain test of all; giving his life on the cross to die for our sins. 

I will embrace the pain because I believe in the midst of the pain I will gain a closer walk with God.  Nothing in life is easy and I know that because I have endured pain in my life.  The good news is as long as we sustain ourselves in the will of God we will make it through and experience greatest gain of all and that is eternal life.

Embrace the pain-

No comments:

Post a Comment