Monday, August 8, 2011

Respect the locker room

No matter how old we get there will be order and protocol.  Athletes are assigned lockers; from middle school  to the professional levels.  Although the locker is assigned to the athlete, the locker room is run by the coach.


There are rules in place for what an athlete is allowed to have in his or her locker.  The athlete must also keep the locker clean and in order.  There are certain materials not allowed in the locker.  This is not optional. The coach could enter their locker at anytime and check it out to ensure it is up to code. Most athletes understand and respect the rules of the locker room. I never had an athlete say, "Well, it is my locker. I can put whatever I want in it or keep it how I want to".  There was a reason the athletes were supportive of the locker room rules and standards, in my opinion.  I believe this is because the Coach made it clear what the expectations were and what the consequences were from day one.  There was no obscurity and daily communication and reminders were given.  The "reminders" (aka consequences) could simply be after practice, group running.

I believe all parents, especially saved parents, need to have rules in place for their kids and what they are allowed to have in their locker (bedroom).  I also believe that the child should respect the rules of the locker room (home). The child must also keep the locker (bedroom) clean and in order.  There should be certain material that is not allowed in their locker (bedroom).  This should not be optional.  The child needs to understand that the locker (bedroom) is assigned to them but the locker room (home) is owned and operated by the parent.  As long as the child adheres to the rules and protocol of the locker (bedroom), the locker room will be assigned to them.  "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15)


A child needs to understand and respect the fact that the parent can enter their room at anytime and check it out.  I am always amazed by television shows where the parent knocks on the child's bedroom door before entering.  I never knocked on the locker room door before entering.  The players understood that a coach could walk in at anytime.  I believe the child will be supportive of the rules of the home if the parent makes it clear what the expectations are and what the consequences are from day one not in year 16.  I am convinced that children not only need discipline and structure, they want it.

It should not matter whether a child is in a locker room or a bedroom.  We have a responsibility to parent and teach.  I believe if we will teach our children that God loves them, set a standard and give them a biblical foundation - not a religous one - and not compromise, we will save them from one day following the rules of a correctional or rehab facility.

What's in your locker?

No comments:

Post a Comment